Black swan detector
My colleague Fran sent us this press release: “Measurement Tool Divines ‘Viral’ Ads in Advance“. From MarketingVox:
Consumer media firm MedTrackAlert has partnered with CNET to develop a measuring tool that quantifies the likelihood an ad message will be passed on organically.
Items covered in the shareability scale include:
1. Considering the claims made in the ad, how likely are you to share the ad with others?
2. Considering the uniqueness of the information provided in the ad, how likely are you to share the ad with others?
3. Considering the uniqueness of the product described in the ad, how likely are you to share the ad with others?
You can download the white paper “”The Sharability Measure: What Makes Consumers Share Viral Marketing Communications“.
Right, it took us a while to stop laughing. Trying to determine the likelihood of an ad to be passed on with the claims made in the ad?? Uniqueness of the information and of the product?
Ah. AH. AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAH.
Ahhhhh. Phew, it’s good to have a laugh sometimes.
As my other colleague Simeon points out (i like quoting my colleagues):
A simple ‘sense check’ against any recent successful viral reveals it’s failings. So for Cadbury’s Gorilla…
Claims made in the ad: None
Uniqueness of information: Er, there isn’t any. It’s a drumming f**king gorilla.
Uniqueness of product: It’s about the most ubiquitous product imaginable.“Sorry Mr Cadbury – I’m afraid your amusing drumming gorilla ad fails our patented shareability index test. This ad is going nowhere!”
Maybe I’m missing the point. I don’t know. But thanks anyway for making my day much more enjoyable. All virals are black swan…
- When your out there on the interwebs clicking away, do you ever think, "I wonder what Ben Franklin would think of lolcats?" #sem #social 1 year ago
- Soo much #Sem in my life 1 year ago
- Early to bed Early to rise Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise - but only if he gets #ROI from ad placement and #Sem #social #Marketing 1 year ago
- I love the smell of #Sem in the morning. #social #Marketing #socialmedia 1 year ago
- I only worry about "hyper targeting" when I'm going to the bathroom #sem #seo #marketing #smo 1 year ago
|Jerome Courtial on Can you keep up with me?|
|Glenn on a response to the next creativ…|
|Creative Agency Indo… on Can you keep up with me?|
|David on On the inbreeding of idea…|
|Money Guy on The theory of Sway in adv…|
- How to sell better work
- 10 indispensable apps for advertising chaps
- Help needed – how to launch an advertising campaign
- 26/11/09 – the first creative club – a look at ARGs
- polar bears
- On the inbreeding of ideas
- digicynic on holiday for 2 weeks
- The difference a year can make
- 10 things to do for digital agencies
- The end of the road for online ad agencies?
- The theory of Sway in advertising
- 4 months, 1 post
- Heard today
- basic plots summarized