The new rule of creativity
Find a succesful viral video, add a new spin, insert client’s product.
Take ‘Chocolate rain’, Internet success with over 12M views on Youtube.
Which becomes ‘Cherry Chocolate rain’ for Dr Pepper.
But only got one million views so far. The second video, although containing a few funny moments, has lost the spontaneity, originality and authenticity of the first one.
It will still get a couple of million views but I’m not sure punters will love that one. The branding is very subtle and you could manage to watch parts of the video without realising it is actually some branded content for Dr Pepper.
Or take the midly funny Leroy Jenkins Video of the World of warcraft. This one was more risky to reuse as a viral. It ‘only’ had 3 million views, so not much considering the size of the US market.
Yet the creative at Saatchi decided to make a spoof of it for the new Toyota.
But in this situation, somehow, even if you haven’t seen the original video, it manages to stay funny. It’s obviously targeted at a particular audience of young males who will ‘get’ it, but they pull it together quite nicely.
Proof is they got 2 million views very quickly, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they beat the original viral in term of million of views.
What’s even more interesting is that they turned a random piece of Internet pop culture into a 30″ TV ad…
- When your out there on the interwebs clicking away, do you ever think, "I wonder what Ben Franklin would think of lolcats?" #sem #social 1 year ago
- Soo much #Sem in my life 1 year ago
- Early to bed Early to rise Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise - but only if he gets #ROI from ad placement and #Sem #social #Marketing 1 year ago
- I love the smell of #Sem in the morning. #social #Marketing #socialmedia 1 year ago
- I only worry about "hyper targeting" when I'm going to the bathroom #sem #seo #marketing #smo 1 year ago
|Jerome Courtial on Can you keep up with me?|
|Glenn on a response to the next creativ…|
|Creative Agency Indo… on Can you keep up with me?|
|David on On the inbreeding of idea…|
|Money Guy on The theory of Sway in adv…|
- How to sell better work
- 10 indispensable apps for advertising chaps
- Help needed – how to launch an advertising campaign
- 26/11/09 – the first creative club – a look at ARGs
- polar bears
- On the inbreeding of ideas
- digicynic on holiday for 2 weeks
- The difference a year can make
- 10 things to do for digital agencies
- The end of the road for online ad agencies?
- The theory of Sway in advertising
- 4 months, 1 post
- Heard today
- basic plots summarized